8/05/2011

龍璽 Dragon Zeal

"A million dollar night view" (百万ドルの夜景) as the Japanese always said so to the glittering Hong Kong neo-lights shone sky. Yet, going out at night still poses some difficulty to me and I always have to compromise to daytime outings.


(You don't get a view like this in any toilet)

(Fine bone china from Nikko. Impressive.)

A while ago, I was priviledged to dine at "Dragon Zeal" located on the 101th floor of the newly erected high-rise, ICC. A friend of mine told me it belongs to Dragon King Restaurant Group (龍皇) and they charge a premium for its location.

I thought to myself, being a tourist, I should try this out and to enjoy the splendid view on a sunny day. I made the right decision on the right day!

(Another breathtaking view)

How "rich" or "wealthy" a country is can be seen from the quality of the Dim Sum a restaurant offers. Modern Dim Sum has its new look where a simple stable "Siu Mai" (焼賣) ought to have a thin slice of abalone topping and the "Ha Gao" (蝦餃) got to has a thin film of gold paper on top. Is it really necessary? Not to me, but to appeal itself as a high-end restaurant, perhaps it is essential.

(龍璽焼賣皇 HKD$70)
Steamed Pork Dumpling Dragon Seal Style

Yup, it was the taste of our traditional "Siu Mai" and with the thin slice of abalone topping, the restaurant could charge an extra $40. Honestly, with or without it, it didn't make much difference to me but it was steaming hot and fresh prawns were used. So, it was OK in $$$ terms even to this budget tight C9.

(澳洲石蠔春卷 HKD$70)
Deep fried spring roll with Australian Rock Oyster

Another steamy hot dish but I could hardly taste the oysters. Shredded pork and yellow Chinese chives were prominent and I guessed the oyster were so finely chopped that its existence went under par after various seasonings were added.

(老爺子古法鬆糕 HK$55)
Steamed sponge cake

The name arose my curiosity. I could understand that part "古法鬆糕" meaning sponge caked made in the orthodox school method. Probably it didn't use the modern "blowing up" method where baking powder was commonly used, and instead, it used the traditional "natural yeast". Yet the first part of the name, "老爺子" (grandpa) made me puzzled for a while. Why old grandpa recipe sponge cake? Regardless of all, thumb up for its great taste! Spongy yet moist and not too sweet. Good stuff. However, $55 is a bit price-cy to me!


(雪影叉燒飽 HKD$60)
Baked BBQ pork buns

Hot Hot Hot....!!! Very well done!


(立方荔芋盒 HKD$65)
Deep fried taro cubes

You may have realized that I ordered lots of "deep fried" dim sums because my mum was not with me and I could freely lift up all the "restrictions" imposed by her. ha ha ha....

Tell you a trick to make this. The oil temperature got to be around 160 to 170 so that the lard will melt and clump with the wheat gluten to come up with this "flaring" effect. If the temperature is too high, the whole thing will turn out to be a solid "ROCK"! (From my past experience! ha ha ha... meaning I had failed numerous time before knowing the trick.)

Want to try making this tomorrow.....

(黑松露老城炒飯 HKD$150)
Fried rice with seafood and black truffle

The taste was ordinary fried rice and the black truffle was almost non-noticeable. Yet, if you add "black truffle" on the menu, you can bump up the price of a plate of fried rice by 50%. Why not?

I had no complain about the service. Me and my girls were well pampered by all the surrounding staff which was a "rare" phenomenon in HK's service industry nowadays. It is really sad to see that HK restaurant or hotel service quality deteriorates by year. I was quite impressed by their well trained staff and their awareness of serving me "hot" food on a timely manner. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment